My apologies in advance to any open-minded conservatives out there who prefer debate and openness to censorship and blame-shifting—I know this subject heading is incendiary. The below is not a critique of you, nor do I think that all conservatives are as hypocritical as the below would suggest. Closed-mindedness is not limited to the right wing, nor is it something that the progressives and centrists and “classic liberals,” your Bill Mahers and John Cleeses, are devoid of.
Now, I swing further to the left than Noam Chomsky’s nut sack, and it’s no secret that most conservatives love to complain about people like me, “SJWs” who want to “ban” free speech and “play the victim.” And yet I can’t help but notice that conservatives seem to constantly be griping and complaining about all kinds of slights and perceived injustices. Some of them even actively try to shout down voices that they disagree with on issues of, gasp, social justice, or even who simply hurt their feelings.
Now, of course there’s a difference between what politicians do and what their voters do, so not all the below can be laid at the feet of your average conservative. But all of these are real, and they boggle the mind. How can anyone say they support the “free marketplace of ideas” or “personal responsibility” when they’re:
- famous for banning sex-ed and demanding abstinence education for years
- avoiding debate and instead branding any news they don’t like “fake news” while meanwhile digesting TONS of not-fact-checked stories, including spreading conspiracy theories about pedophilia child sex rings run by Hillary Clinton that ended up with some guy shooting a pizzeria?
- silencing scientific reports by cutting off funding for any study they worry might contradict conservative opinions… especially on climate change?
- putting “gag orders” on doctors so they can’t give their honest medical opinions?
- blocking mainstream politicians such as Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Xavier Becerra, and Vicente Fox, and dozens more, even rapper and musician Common, from speaking on college campuses?
- whining that they aren’t mature enough to handle a trans person pooping in the stall next to them because “ew, cooties?”
- getting liberal YouTubers’ videos shut down for spurious content violations, e.g. telling YouTube that pundits such as ContraPoints are racist because of a swastika in a video condemning Nazis?
- complaining that universities are oppressing conservatives by blocking speakers from attending, when conservatives were the solid champions of guest-banning for a decade and a half, disinviting far more speakers than the left between 2000 and 2015, until Milo’s tour in 2016 (meaning that the whole point of his tour was to create a problem after he claimed it existed)?
- saying they refuse to “play the race card” or “be a victim” when in the very next breath they say “white people are the real victims of racism?”
- placing a moratorium on surveys about guns… including even just getting a tally of how many guns are in the U.S., and then accusing gun control advocates of not having accurate charts of how many guns we have due to the studies they didn’t allow?
- trying to silence feminists who want to talk about issues of potential sexism in video games by sending them rape threats and death threats, because “oh my god I just can’t LIVE anymore if my games are criticized?!?”
- Successfully campaigning to get the University of Wisconsin to implement rules to actually PUNISH student protesters on the left?
- … and yet if it’s a Christian protest, making the government intervene to preserve those rights …
- Except not if those Christians are black athletes who might be Dems…
- … but for Republican college kids? Now they’re saying “YES oh yes we must protect the right to assemble if they kids are Republican!”
- But then they suspend all the kids who protest against gun violence.
I could go on and on and list plenty more of these, but I think you get my point. Conservatives are some of the biggest instigators of censorship and oppression when it comes to free speech. They’re constantly telling liberals to shut up and then de-platforming us altogether when we don’t. They pass laws, they cancel speakers at colleges, and they whine, whine, whine.
So how is it that they’ve convinced even our fellow liberals that we are the ones playing the victims here?
I’d ask the CDC to pose a survey about it, but the Republicans would just defund them.